UCF College of Medicine
As core faculty members of the UCF College of Medicine, the UCF Osceola leadership maintains offices at the College of Medicine (COM), and is intimately involved with COM activities, including:
- Reviewing medical school candidate applications, selecting applicants for interview, and conducting the interviews.
- Serving on various committees, including the program evaluation committee, curriculum committee, and serving on the faculty senate.
- Actively mentoring medical students in their required Focused Inquiry and Research Experience (FIRE).
- Precepting the Community of Practice rotation for M1s and M2s
- Lecturing in the preclinical years in various modules including musculoskeletal, brain and behavior
- Facilitating faculty development workshops
- Participating in the UCF Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Serving on UCF Faculty Cluster Initiative proposal evaluation panel
There is a seamless integration of the residency program with the medical school. Residents can access the faculty at either their Osceola or UCF office locations. We attend distinguished lectures both on the hospital campus as well as at COM. We use the COM’s state of the art anatomy lab to teach cadaver-based procedures. The COM’s simulation laboratory is where our residents get to practice complex cases that may involve either rare procedures or involve ethical dilemmas. The COM librarians assist residents and faculty with literature searches and consulting systematic reviews.
Founded in 2006, UCF’s program epitomizes innovation, high-tech learning tools and a pioneering spirit to educate young doctors and scientists in a new and better way for the 21st century. It was one of the few medical schools to be built from the ground up in the last decades and is one of the anchor institutions for the Lake Nona Medical City. The University of Central Florida College of Medicine will be the nation’s premier 21st century college of medicine—a national leader in education, research and patient care, recognized for supporting and empowering its students and faculty to realize their passion for discovery, healing, health and life, and for its ability to create partnerships to transform medical education and health care.
Dean Deborah German MD says in her Dean’s Welcome, “ It is my belief that every student comes to medical school with a dream for the future. At UCF we will help each student build that dream from day one. We seek students with a pioneering spirit — a real sense of curiosity and inquiry — who wish to make a difference in the lives of others.”